In April 2020, HEWA developed a survey to ascertain the impact of COVID-19 on WA’s currently home-educating families. Specifically, we wanted to find out:
• How COVID-19 was impacting their home-education plans for their children
• How COVID-19 was impacting their access to resources
• The impact of COVID-19 on the health and wellbeing on their families
• Their interactions with the Department and moderator visits since the start of the pandemic
• How they would like their annual moderator meetings to proceed with current restrictions.
The results were analysed and the findings summarised in a report which has been sent to all relevant government departments including the Department of Education
The Department of Education has recently begun their standard 5 year review of the home education policy.
As part of the initial consultation phase of the review process, the Department recently conducted workshops at the South Metropolitan and North Metropolitan Education Offices. This year, for the first time, both HEWA and individual members of the Home Ed community were invited to be part of the process. This is a huge step forward.